Pacman Frog Not Eating

Discussion in 'Frogs' started by Landon Golds, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Landon Golds

Landon Golds New Member

Hi! I got a baby peppermint pacman frog 5 days ago. He's adorable! And tiny. I named him Meatball. He's probably about the size of a nickel. You can still see a little bump where his tail was. He hasn't eaten yet tho. I've heard this is normal with introducing pacmans to new environments. Does this include baby pacman frogs? Aren't they supposed to be ravenous as babies? And maybe because he recently absorbed his tail he might not be hungry? He pooped yesterday but still didn't want anything to do with the crickets. I'll try to get him to eat again tonight. We'll see. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

Billy likes this.
  2. Billy

Billy Administrator Staff Member

Hey, has he eaten yet? Sorry for the late reply.

3. Landon Golds

Landon Golds New Member

No problem! He actually ate a superworm on Sunday. He wouldn't eat it from the tongs, he just pushed it away with his hands but when I dropped the superworm and it bolted, Meatball hopped after it and caught it. He didn't want any more yesterday but that was probably because he was full of worm.

Billy likes this.
  4. Billy

That's great. If you can, I would try as best as you can to feed him crickets though. Super worms are a but hard to digest (like mealworms) because of their hard exoskeleton. But as long as he's eating, that's a good sign.

5. Landon Golds

Landon Golds New Member

He hasn't eaten since then. Kinda weird. But what do you think about earthworms? Maybe chopped up into bits?

6. Billy

Unless you buy them at the pet store, I wouldnt feed him earthworms. Outside earthworms has too many pesticides to mess around with. And they need movement to see the food, so unless the worms are still moving, I would keep them whole instead of chopping them up. Just try to get small worms. Have you tried superworms again?

Crickets, red wigglers, earth worms, silkworms, hornworms, waxworms, phoenix worms are all good hoices to feed. Just so you can have a variety to try. How are the temperatures in the enclosure? Lighting does play a role in appetite.

7. Landon Golds

Landon Golds New Member

The temps on the hot side are about 85 in the daytime and about 75 at night. There's a flourescent light at one side but he usually stays on the other side of the tank where it's shielded from the light behind a big plant. He hasn't tried going anywhere else in the tank. It's a 15 gallon. And yeah I tried superworms again but he just pushes them away. He's looking nice and plump though so I'm not really worried yet. I'm thinking of getting some dubias for my herps too.

Billy likes this.
  8. Billy

Dubias are great. If you can breed them, I would do that. You will save a lot of money. When you moist the enclosure, do you spray down the entire enclosure, or only half of the enclosure?

9. Landon Golds

Landon Golds New Member

I spray the whole thing usually. Every morning I'll drop in an earthworm to see if he'll eat it. Every once in a while he actually bites at it. He's done it 3 different times but missed every time and got a mouthful of EcoEarth then spit it out. He isn't looking thin but I'm worried that there's something wrong with him. I'm considering moving him to a smaller translucent bin. That might help I don't know. He won't eat when he think's someone's watching. I'm thinking that putting him in an almost opaque bin will help. What do you think?

Billy likes this.
  10. Billy

Try lightly spraying one half of the enclosure rather than soaking it. You want to keep one side slightly dry (not completey), but slightly. This will allow the pacman frog to regulate his/her own body temperature if she/he wants or needs to.

Have you tried feeding in a different bin?

11. Landon Golds

Landon Golds New Member

Yes I have the humidity in there is around 70. I've tried minnows as well. Keep in mind he is veeeeeery small. If the food touches him he freaks out and either hops away or tries batting at it with his hands.