this is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Insects & Other Invertebrates' started by mary, Dec 22, 2015.

1. mary

mary New Member

This is my second attempts at hatching hornworms and i thought i did everything right. The first attempt they did not hatch at all, the second time, they hatched but died shortly afterwards.
    I have the food already pre prepped the way i ordered it to make life simpler. Mind you it is winter now but my house temp can get as low as the 72 but i always keep my hatchers under a s black heat lamp that is set over a foot above the growing medium to prevent drying it out or getting too hot. I place the medium/food in the bottom of the cup , then place a dry paper towel on top of it to sit the eggs on, as it stated to do this as they can have a dry edge to eat off of and not get stuck on the food itself. Now this time the paper towel did absorb some of the feeding medium and got soggy, but still, shouldn't they have been able to eat the food off of that? they did hatch, but died within a day or two. Someone help! what am i doing wrong? how can i make this work?

2. Billy

Billy Administrator Staff Member

Hey Mary,
    Can you please post pics of the setups where you have the babies.

3. mary

mary New Member

this is where i originally placed them inside my super worm home, to makee sure s were about the same. they r near i.d too cold i would simply close the windows since i have chameleons in a cage nearby
    if it dippeht due to the blinds. the house temp is usually between 72-78 depending on weather window but never got direct su

Attached Files:

4. mary

mary New Member

sorry comp went wacky on me lol
    basically said i keep them in my supremo canister in order they all be around the same temps. open window (yes) but with blinds. if gets too cold i simply close window and turn heat on if necessary

5. Billy

Seems to be ok. Is there ventilation in the cups? It could be a humidity problem that is killing them.

6. mary

mary New Member

well i set them up in the cups they keep them in normally with the holes on top. But we have had a very warm winter so far and I usually keep windows open and just deal with the daily highs of 78 or so in the house for all my reptiles and pets. so probably some humidity going on. The paper towel i layed the eggs on had of course absorbed the wet food that i layed them on, so perhaps they got too humid for them. What temps are needed at all times?and how much light is required? and is there another method for how to place the eggs in the cup to ensure they can get to their food immediately.

7. Billy

I am pretty sure it was the humidity. I ran into this problem before when I was hatching eggs. Do you place the eggs on the lid like in the article with the food on the bottom of the container with the cup flipped over??